Saint Leonard Friary
On September 6, 1952 discussions for a new House of Theology were begun by the Building Committee of St. John Baptist Province.In November of that same year the architectural design was begun by the staff of Brother Cajetan J. B. Baumann, O.F.M, New York, with Paul Damaz as chief designer.
1952-1956: mountains of blueprints and sketches.
In March of 1956, Mr. William Berbusse, Jr. of New York was selected as General Contractor.
On March 11, 1956, Archbishop KarlJ. Alter of Cincinnati, Very Rev. Vincent Kroger, O.F.M., Provincial, turned the first spades of earth to mark the ground breaking ceremonies.
Excavation began on April 17, 1956. Fr. Friedbert Adams, O.F.M. donned overalls to see the building through all stages of construction as the representative of St. John the Baptist Province.
December 1, 1957, saw the cornerstone of the new building laid by the then Auxiliary Bishop of Cincinnati, Bishop Clarence G. Issenmann.
July 16, 1958, Feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel: Mass celebrated for the first time in the new building.
September 2, 1958: The Cleric Theologians moved from Holy Family Friary, Oldenburg, Indiana, to the new St. Leonard Friary.
Formal dedication, May 31, 1959. The completed structure-made possible through the kindness of our many friends and benefactors.